Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Still Learning ... Vitamin D

Right when you think you have everything figured out, winter comes along and disrupts your Vitamin D levels!  I could tell my anxiety was increasing this winter!  Instead of supplementing with Vitamin D right away, I just let things happen.  Silly me.

In March 2016, I tested my thyroid panel with Vitamin D and found my autoantibodies increased dramatically in spite of all the other hormones at pre-menopausal levels.  My Vitamin D had dropped to 20.  My autoantibodies had not changed for years -- sitting right above normal levels.

I quickly added a supplement, but not the 5000 IU recommended by the functional medicine doctor.  I supplemented with 30,000 IU.  At this level, for the first time ever, I felt a difference with a supplement!  In the past I had supplemented with many vitamins/minerals assuming my health was suffering due to nutritional deficiency.    As I moved to nutrient dense, AIP, I didn't feel the need.  Now I realize that my Vitamin D/Prohormone needs supplementation as part of my HRT.  At least during the Ohio winters.

I will stick with this and hopefully I will continue with my energetic, symptom-free life!!  Just a little more learning along the path to healthful life!


No comments:

Post a Comment