Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Six Months On LDN
"I Wish I Did This Sooner!"
Genetic Predisposition is Key


I have heard that the six month mark is a stabilizing point in LDN recovery.  However, I have to believe that my first two weeks were the most impactful.  This could be because the inflammation is much reduced and organs work better without inflammation.  Pretty simple concept.

I started the PaleoMom's Paleo Autoimmune Protocol diet at about the same time that I started LDN.  However, I had been nearly compliant to AIP for many years -- in fact 4 years gluten-free.  My thyroid autoantibodies have not changed much in the last six months -- but when I started LDN my autoantibodies were very near normal.  I was expecting to clear out all the autoantibodies with LDN, but that didn't happen.  Diet, exercise and HRT had brought them down as far as they will go.

Instead of changing autoantibody markers, I have had many mid-sized changes that seem to point to a recovery of the endocrine hormones.   That's 40 hormones in all!  Wonderful!  My lab tests showed improvement, so it's not a placebo effect either. ;-)

I have to believe that the hormones will be protective when it comes to advancement of the autoimmune condition and other diseases.     "Thank you, thank you, LDN."



MONTH 6 on LDN


Now, I can run!

It's simple.  I can run on the treadmill with no problem.  This type of high impact aerobic activity seemed far out of reach a few years ago.

Sensory Memory Improvements!

This is going to sound strange, but my memories are rushing back to me when I hear certain music or smell certain smells.  Before, these memories were out of reach, but now they are front and center.  Am I really remembering or only building new memories that seem likely?  I can't really know.  However, it works perfectly to create stories of my family's life together.  Everyone needs some history to build identity, and the Mother is central to that.  This is a very welcome improvement!




Food Sensitivities:  Still a Problem!

Unfortunately these are persistent!  I am still reacting to corn and rice.  It is mostly fatigue, but also some anxiety and dry eyes.  My itchy skin is a thing of the past though.  I notice worse symptoms on my LDN day off, so it is protective.  Gluten is still out of the diet, and probably always will be. 

______________________________________________________________________________


NEW LEARNING:  Genetic Predisposition to Autoimmune

My curiosity got the best of me, and I went ahead and did a 23andme genome test.  I did find indications of weak methylation & detox cycles and that explains my (and my family's) many challenges.  The methylation cycle is executed 1 Billion times daily!

I uploaded my genome to Promethease and saw that I have 2-6 times more likely to have certain autoimmune diseases.  This is no surprise.  However, I see little indication of the presence of my most likely ones -- Rheumatoid Arthritis and Crohn's Disease.  The test also showed that I am a NON-responder to many cancer treatments.  Hmmmmmmm.  Have I dodged the bullet?

LDN is most likely helping.  It matures the immune system and prevents high autoantibodies by supporting white blood cells.  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24455776

Testosterone supplementation is most likely helping!  This study showed that low testosterone precedes RA!  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23553100

Josh Mason, a nutrition researcher at Tufts, has an interesting video on his last 25 years of work.  He stresses the importance of managing health issues with nutrition.  He has tested the supplementation of the methylation cycle and shown dramatic changes in disease using mice.  He warns against the "enriched" processed foods too.  Perhaps I will be able to hold off disease with the supports I have put in place.

I am supplementing the vitamins/minerals used within the methylation cycle.  I will continue with this!

My food is also rich with the vitamins/minerals used within the methylation cycle.  I was able to look up the vitamin load for most foods at www.nutritiondata.self.com.  Fascinating!  How powerful the combination of liver and broccoli!

LDN can also be thought of as a supplement for these weakened systems.  It is possible LDN changes the expression of the genes over time through the epigenetics.    

I am glad that I explored LDN!  I only wish I would have done it sooner.




No comments:

Post a Comment