Cardio Exercise: The First Treatment
"6 Years - 60 minutes Daily Effort Pays Out!"
I started walking on the treadmill because at the beginning of the illness that was the only natural remedy for Fibromyalgia. I wanted to get off the pain killers and sleep drugs desperately because they zapped my energy and creativity. I really didn't recognize myself on conventional medicine.
Exercise as a treatment was very slow going. I started with 20 minutes at 3.0 miles/hour. I was able to work my way up to 60 minutes at 4.2 miles per hour. I was able to stop the painkillers as this process seemed to work as long as I did it every day!
At the time I added LDN six years later, I was able to exercise 60 minutes daily/4.2 miles per hour plus dog walking, standing in the kitchen cooking for several hours, and the typical lifting in household tasks, all without pain. I had more energy by the second month on LDN at 3.0 mg/day.
On LDN, I am able to skip a day of exercise without having any pain. LDN works when I cannot!
I still cannot add any heavy weightlifting or running or strong incremental activity without feeling it the next day. But, maybe that's NORMAL! ;-)
Why does Exercise work?
Well, it does increase endorphins (similar to LDN). Endorphins are natural painkillers. I also found that sweating made me feel MUCH, MUCH better, so I made sure to exercise to the sweat point and hold that for 30 minutes. Some sweat elements are reabsorbed and help to manage the immune system. Plus sweating is a part of detox. Also, increasing muscle mass helps testosterone levels and they are instrumental in healing. Lastly, exercise is linked to hormone balancing, good sleep, and lower inflammation.
I doubt that I will ever stop exercising. It is just so powerful!
If you have any doubts whatsoever, look into this wikipedia page on neurobiological impacts of exercise.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurobiological_effects_of_physical_exercise#Changes_in_Neurotransmitter_Levels
References:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23986225
Topical Naltrexone Enhances Wound Healing
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19041189
Naltrexone Regulates Immunity and Brain Systems
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24526250
Naltrexone Effective for Chronic Pain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtc2JARVpPw
Stanford Pain Clinic Recommends Low Dose Naltrexone, Pain Management/Enhanced Sleep
Minute 42:50- Update on Naltrexone Impact on Microglial Cells that Regulate Immune System